Saturday, August 29, 2009

Weighty Issue


















I know, two posts in one day ... we're, or, uh I'm CRAZY over here!! I just couldn't keep this to myself. Here she is in her Stokke high chair. Does she look a little bigger to you? Hmm ... Well, Maryn went to the doctor again yesterday and we found that she gained just shy of 1 pound in 10 days!! And here's the kicker .... she had been sick for a couple of days so we were expecting her weight to be about the same. The doc was so impressed and asked what we were feeding her. Really, she hasn't been drinking more formula. It's still typically a struggle to reach her daily minimum on that front. -I started a post on this very issue months ago and kept coming back to it on frustrating days, but never quite felt it was postable- What changed is that she is now eating solids like a champ. She's a fan of squash, bananas, apples, pears, prunes, oatmeal, mango, and avocado. Later after we got home I examined the food log. We started feeding her solids three times a day instead of twice about 10 days ago. Bingo. It feels like this particular issue will continue to work itself out now.

The timing is interesting. A few weeks ago I decided I needed to change my perspective. For example, I decided I didn't need to know her exact weight each week. I did my best to see that she got her formula minimum and then just payed attention. Is she happy? Is she continuing to develop? If the answer to both of these questions was yes and she didn't appear to be losing weight then that was enough. This example doesn't encompass my entire mind shift, rather it's a small piece of the bigger picture. Maryn has had a lot of health issues since she was born, some of which I've blogged about -others I haven't. It's been so easy to get caught up in the worrying and the what ifs. That, my friends, is energy sapping of the highest order. Now, I'm not saying that replacing worry with denial is the answer, being informed and responsible is important. But I refuse to continue to waste valuable energy on that which depletes. My family deserves better and so do I.

No comments:

Post a Comment